MANZANA 1 – ESPACIO DE ARTE
Institutional presentation. Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte is an art gallery located in the historical center of the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra (Bolivia). Its management is a voluntary position, and is currently held by the artist Ejti Stih. It became a non-profit civil association in 2007, according to Prefectural Administrative Resolution No. 297/07. Our gallery was created to establish a space that would not only serve as a venue for national and international exhibits, but also to be a free and open space for visitors who come to the city’s main square for a stroll and looking for fun, for people who previously did not have the habit or opportunity to visit museums or galleries. It was founded on September 27, 2005 and has been operating for the past 14 years, becoming one of the most popular attractions in town. It receives an average of 15,424 visitors per month.
– Submit a written project using the attached basic form. This can also be downloaded from Manzana 1’s website.
– Attach 6 to 10 photographs of the works that are part of the project.
- While Manzana 1 is developing its annual agenda, the gallery can decide to have more than one artist’s exhibit during the same season, and have them share the space in a collective show or together with another one, sometimes in different areas of our venue, according to the criteria regarding themes, aesthetics, concepts, etc.
- Once we determine the art show selection for the year 2020, and when it’s time for the exhibit, the selected artist must commit to:
– Submit his/her artwork to Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte ready for its installation, five days before the opening. The artist or his representative must coordinate and take care of the transportation of the works to the gallery and cover the costs involved.
– Provide in advance the biographic information and information regarding the show, as well as photos for the catalog, invitations, banner and printed media.
– Provide a spreadsheet with photos of each work and technical information.
– Comply with the dates agreed upon.
– Provide a bank account number in case the works are available for sale.
- If technological resources are required, Manzana 1 has a list of tools the artist can use on loan basis. However, if the work requires specific resources we do not have available, the artists must provide these themselves, and also be responsible for fixing or replacing them should they be damaged during the exhibit.
- Due to the every artist’s responsibility in their exhibits, the gallery and sponsors of the exhibit need a signed contract between the involved parties. It must be reviewed and signed before the show is set up
Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte’s commitment with the artist
- Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte commits to provide its exhibition spaces at no cost, to cover the editing, design, print and distribution of a magazine/catalog, invitations, a 6x2Mt. promotional banner, two 2×1.40 mt banners, six 1.93×0.50 banderoles, and adhesive texts to explain the concept of each space; further, it will pay for the salaries of the required staff and the materials that are needed and promote the event in the media as well as provide wine at the opening event.
Security. Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte has 5 exhibition halls distributed in two blocks (see plan). The gallery has a guard and each room has a camera monitored from management. During the night, an alarm system is activated.
Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte cannot assume responsibility for any loss or damage suffered by the works during the exhibition. Since it is a not for profit institution, Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte cannot cover the costs for insuring the works, so the artist must take this into account.
Sales. If one or more art pieces are sold, the gallery will keep 20% of the total price of each work; this money will be reinvested in the gallery’s upkeep.
Attention to the public. Monday to Sunday, from 10:00 to 12:30 and 16:00 to 21:00.
Deadline for applications. Applications to be included in the 2020 program must be submitted during 2019 at Manzana 1 Espacio de Arte, in hard copy or digital copy at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: Monday, November 11.